Micromax has always been the foremost in breaking the norms in terms of specifications at a given price point. However, many such budget-oriented products didn’t really live up to all that they claimed on paper. Micromax released its A110 Canvas 2 in February, 2012 at a price point around Rs.10,000. It came with a 5-inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen display comprising of 16M colors and a resolution of 480 x 854 pixels (~196 ppi pixel density). It has 512 MB of RAM and as far as its processing prowess is concerned, it packs in a MediaTek MT6577 which is a Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 SoC with an PowerVR SGX 531 GPU. Courtesy of which the Micromax A110 Canvas 2 runs Android OS v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). There was no confirmation of an Android OS v4.1 (Jelly Bean) update for the Canvas 2 but because the features it comes packed with, it was no surprise that it did get many custom Jelly Bean based ROMs.
Well, this article is about how to update Micromax A110 Canvas 2 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. The Canvas 2 has already been successfully rooted a long time ago, thanks to Bin4ry’s rooting tool. For those who haven’t yet rooted, here’s our guide on the same. For more on rooting, you could read up about it here.
Disclaimer: Rooting/Flashing custom ROMs voids your warranty (However you CAN unroot your device) and can potentially brick your device if you fail to follow the instructions carefully. Follow this guide AT YOUR OWN RISK. GizmoPhiliacs will not be responsible (i.e will not buy you a new phone or offer you money. Maybe a helping hand and a handful of tissue) if anything goes wrong. Always take backups of your apps+data (*cough* Titanium Backup *cough*)
If you google up, you shall find many methods to update your Canvas 2 to Android 4.1.1 via CWM but the Bin4ry tool guide which we used to get root access on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) doesn’t work on Jelly Bean. And many people seem to get stuck up using SP Flash Tools. But now we have an easier way. Paplu3, a xda member, has made a flashable zip file of pre-rooted Stock Cynus T2 Jelly Bean ROM, that can be easily flashed via CWM.
- Stock Cynus T2 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM
- Mobistel boot animation is changed to Micromax boot animation
- 2nd SIM card network issues fixed with Stock ROM v2’s modem.img
How To Update Micromax A110 Canvas 2 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean:
- Root your Micromax A110 Canvas 2 and install CWM recovery using our guide (Skip this step if you have already rooted with CWM recovery installed)
- Download CynusT2JellyBean.zip. This zip file is a clockworkmod flashable version of Cynus Stock T2’s stock Jelly Bean ROM.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to your phone’s Internal Storage.
- Switch off your phone and enter CWM recovery by pressing Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button simultaneously till the screen lights up.
- A screen will ask you whether you want to go to Recovery or to Factory mode. Press Volume Up to go to CWM recovery mode.
- Select the Install Zip from SD card option and browse and select the zip file you downloaded in step 2.
- After the installation of the zip file completes, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache. Also go in Advanced>Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Click on reboot phone now
- When your phone is back ON, you should find the superuser SU app in your app drawer. If it’s there, (yayy), your Micromax A110 Canvas 2 has been rooted! But then, if you want to check and be doubly sure, you could download The Root Checker App and check it for yourself.
This is it. You now have Android 4.1.1 based stock Cynus T2 Jelly Bean ROM with root access. Enjoy the snappy experience of Jelly Bean on your Micromax A110 Canvas 2. In case you notice a deteriorated camera quality, simply download Android 4.2 camera zip file and flash it via CWM recovery. Reboot your phone. Open the Android 4.2 camera app from your app drawer and check the quality of the photos you click using that app.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email updates. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep in touch with the latest updates. Share this with your friends and fellow flashers on FB, Twitter, Google+ or even over a chai at the canteen. And for any doubts, you could drop us a comment which will be addressed pronto! Any problems, or bugs, we’re here to set life right again.