Its been 2 weeks since the Micromax A116 Canvas HD launched after the initial delay in its release due to logistics issues. Putting that aside the usual rooting guide for Micromax devices, the Bin4ry’s rooting tool showed no success in doing so. However there was no way the good guys over at XDA were going to give up that easily. Especially considering the device is selling like hot cakes in India. And why wouldn’t it? Micromax is no more just a cheap brand name. After the success of its A110 Canvas 2, great things are bound to be expected and Micromax hasn’t disappointed their fan-base. For more info you can refer to our coverage on the Micromax A116 Canvas HD launch.
Micromax A116 Canvas HD specifications :
- Display: 5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) HD IPS 16.7 million color display
- OS: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Processor: 1.2 GHz quad-core MediaTek MT6589 processor
- 1GB of RAM
- 4GB internal memory
- Storage: MicroSD card slot (up to 32GB)
- Battery: 2,100mAh battery
- Camera: 8MP rear camera with LED Flash, VGA front-facing camera
- Dual-SIM, 3G, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth, GPS/A-GPS
- Price: Rs. 14,000
Well, this article is about how to root and install CWM recovery on Micromax A116 Canvas HD. For more on rooting, you could read up about it here.
Disclaimer: Rooting voids your warranty (However you CAN unroot your device) and can potentially brick your device if you fail to follow the instructions carefully. Follow this guide AT YOUR OWN RISK. GizmoPhiliacs will not be responsible (i.e will not buy you a new phone or offer you money. Maybe a helping hand and a handful of tissue) if anything goes wrong.
- Download ClockworkMod image
- SP Flash Tools
- Download Drivers (If drivers don’t work download the ones here)
- Download Root Package 1 and Package 2
Steps to Install CWM Recovery:
- Install the Micromax A116 Canvas HD drivers from above
- Next you must extract and open SP Flash Tools
- Click on the Scatter-Loading and the program will ask you the location of the scatter loading file. Choose the MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt
- Now, you will see that the flash tool has populated the map file on the application window, you will see multiple entries, just uncheck all entries except for Recovery
- Now click on Recovery and choose the clockworkmod recovery.img that you have downloaded. Make sure that nothing other that Recovery is checked.
- In Flash Tool, go to Options and Click USB Mode so that it is enabled. Again go to Options > DA Download All > Speed > Force to high speed.
- Now take out the battery, SIM Card and SD Card out of your Micromax Canvas HD A116.
- Now on the opened SP Flash tool window, click the Download button. Ignore the warning messages and click on ‘Yes’
- Now connect your phone with battery and everything out and Volume Up key held. It will start flashing your phone with the new recovery.img.
- The Flash Tool will start the flashing process, the progress of which can be viewed from a yellow progress bar at the bottom of the Flash Tool
(Don’t interrupt this process as it can potentially brick your device)
- After the process completes, a Green Ring will appear on your device signalling that the process was successfully completed
- Now you can disconnect your phone. Put the battery and everything inside and boot into recovery mode
- To boot into recovery mode press the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Button. Choose Recovery mode from the next screen. You should now see the ClockworkMod Recovery on your Micromax A116 canvas HD
- Navigate through options through the Volume Up key for Up and Volume Down key for Down. To choose an option, press the power button.
Steps to Root your Micromax A116 Canvas HD:
- Ensure you have CWM recovery installed by the above method
- Download the rooting package 1 and package 2.
- Move these downloaded files in your phone’s SD card.
- Now reboot into ClockworkMod recovery by the method used in step 15 above
- Inside CWM recovery, make sure you do wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition. Also go in Advanced>wipe dalvik cache
- Now go in Install zip from sdcard and flash both the rooting packages, namely Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip one by one from their respective locations
- After flashing, simple click on reboot system now and you should be rooted.
- When your phone is back ON, you should find the Superuser SU app in your app drawer. If it’s there, ( whoopee!!! ), your Micromax A116 Canvas HD has been rooted! But then, if you want to check and be doubly sure, you could download The Root Checker App and check it for yourself.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email updates. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep in touch with the latest updates. Thanks to kumar abhishek for this method on rooting the A116 Canvas HD. Share this with your friends and fellow flashers on FB, Twitter, Google+ or even over a chai at the canteen. And for any doubts, you could drop us a comment which will be addressed pronto! Any problems, or bugs, we’re here to set life right again.