Micromax had recently released the A89 Ninja at a price of Rs. 6299/- (Flipkart). It comes with a 3.97-inch TFT capacitive display comprising of 262K colors and a WVGA resolution of 480 x 800 pixels (~235 ppi pixel density). Packed with 2GB of Internal storage and microSD card support upto 32GB, space shortage is something you need not worry about by a long shot. It has 512 MB of RAM, which is pretty much the barest minimum offered by most phones today. The 3MP camera is indicative of what you expect at that price point. As far as its processing prowess is concerned, it packs in a MediaTek MT6577 which is a Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 SoC with an PowerVR SGX 531 GPU (same used in A110 Canvas 2). Courtesy of which the Micromax A89 Ninja runs Android OS v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
Still pretty young, the phone has had its fair share of development. This article is about how to install clockworkmod recovery (CWM) or TWRP recovery on your Micrmomax A89 Ninja. This method doesn’t require you to be rooted, but still it’s recommended to root your Micromax A89. You can follow our how to root the Micromax A89 Ninja guide for the same. For more on rooting, you could read up about it here.
Disclaimer: Follow this guide AT YOUR OWN RISK. GizmoPhiliacs will not be responsible (i.e will not buy you a new phone or offer you money. Maybe a helping hand and a handful of tissue) if anything goes wrong. Ain’t rocket-science but you can’t be careless either. Your warranty will be voided by flashing any third party stuff, the custom recovery in this case. You can flash stock rom back in case you want to restore your warranty. (You must also unroot, in case you have rooted)
Install Clockworkmod Recovery on Micromax A89 Ninja:
- Download and extract MTK6577 drivers in your Windows 7/XP.
- In the extracted folder, double click the file named InstallDriver.exe to install drivers for your device.
- Next, download and extract the Clockwormod recovery for your device. In the extracted folder you will find a recovery file and a scatter file, both of which will be required later on in the process.
- Download and extract the SP Flash Tool which will be used to flash the recovery to your device.
- Run Flash_Tool.exe to start the flash tool.
- In the menu bar of the flash tool, select options and then make sure that USB Mode is ticked. Again go to Options > DA Download All > Speed > Force to high speed.
- Click on the Scatter-Loading button present on the right hand side below Downloading Agent. It will ask you the location of the scatter file. The scatter file is present in the extracted folder A89 CWM and is named MT6577_Android_scatter_emmc.txt
- Now, you will see that the flash tool has populated the map file on the application window, you will see multiple entries, just uncheck all entries except for Recovery.
- Click on Recovery and browse to the CWM_18.104.22.168_recovery file in the A89 CWM folder
- Click Download button. Ignore the warning messages and click on ‘Yes’
- Now take out the battery, SIM Card and SD Card out of your Micromax Canvas HD A116.
- Now connect your phone to the PC via USB cable (with battery and everything out) and Volume Up key held. It will start flashing your phone with the new recovery.img
- The progress bar above the “searching” text will start progressing and once the process completes, a Green Circle will appear, signalling that the process was successfully completed.
- To confirm that the installation went smooth, power off your phone and press Power + Volume up button simultaneously till you boot into the CWM Recovery
- In case you want to flash TWRP recovery, you can do so by downloading TWRP_22.214.171.124_recovery.img.7z instead of the one given above. Rest of the procedure remains the same.
- In case you want to go back to stock recovery, replace the zip file you downloaded in step 3 with this one. Everything else works in the same way.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email updates. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep in touch with the latest updates. Thanks to Bhardik for this wonderful tutorial on the same. Share this with your friends and fellow flashers on FB, Twitter, Google+ or even over a chai at the canteen. And for any doubts, you could drop us a comment which will be addressed pronto! Any problems, or bugs, we’re here to set life right again.