The smartphone market just got a perky new player in its midst. Micromax has always been the foremost in breaking the norms in terms of specifications at a given price point. However, many such budget-oriented products don’t really live up to all that they claim on paper. Micromax released its A110 Canvas 2 in February, 2012. Which is one product priced at the same bracket as its predecessor- the Micromax Canvas A100- and yet offers so much more in terms of specifications. It comes with a 5-inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen display comprising of 16M colors and a resolution of 480 x 854 pixels (~196 ppi pixel density). Packed with 4GB of Internal storage (2GB user accessible) and microSD card support upto 32GB, space shortage is something you need not worry about by a long shot. It has 512 MB of RAM, which is pretty much the barest minimum offered by most phones today. The 8 MP camera with autofocus, dual-LED flash, and standard features likeGeo-tagging, touch focus, face detection et al, is enough to keep the shutterbug in us satisfied. It also has a front facing VGA camera. As far as its processing prowess is concerned, it packs in a MediaTek MT6577 which is a Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 SoC with an PowerVR SGX 531 GPU. Courtesy of which the Micromax A110 Canvas 2 runs Android OS v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). There is no confirmation of an Android OS v4.1 (JellyBean) update for the Canvas II YET. But that really isn’t a matter of prime focus, because the features it comes packed with, projects compatibilityfor an upgrade. Let’s hope Micromax doesn’t let its customers down regarding this.
Well, this article is about how to root and install CWM recovery on the Micromax A110 Canvas 2. The Canvas 2 has already been successfully rooted a long time ago, thanks to Bin4ry’s rooting tool. For more on rooting, you could read up about it here.
Disclaimer: Rooting voids your warranty (However you CAN unroot your device) and can potentially brick your device if you fail to follow the instructions carefully. Follow this guide AT YOUR OWN RISK. GizmoPhiliacs will not be responsible (i.e will not buy you a new phone or offer you money. Maybe a helping hand and a handful of tissue) if anything goes wrong.
How to Root Micromax A110 Canvas 2:
- Download and extract this zip file: Root_script_by_Bin4ry_v17.zip
- Enable USB debugging on your Micromax A110 Canvas 2. (Go to Settings > Developer Options > Check mark “USB Debugging” and then tap OK button.
- Now connect your Micromax A110 to your computer using your USB cable. The drivers should be installed automatically or use official Micromax drivers. (or you could also use Pdanet to install drivers)
- Change the mode of your device from USB storage to Media Device and then proceed further. This option appears onlywhen you connect your device to your PC.
- Go to the folder named “Root_script_by_Bin4ry_v17″ and run the “Runme.bat” file.
- Now, you should see a screen popping up on your monitor with words all in green *cue matrix themed music* and it looks a whole lot like CMD.
- Choose the Normal mode by typing ‘1‘ and hit Enter from your keyboard.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the A110 rooting process. Your A110 Canvas 2 will reboot during the process after which Bin4ry will copy some files to your device.
- When your phone is back ON, you should find the superuser SU app in your app drawer. If it’s there, (yayy), your Micromax A110 Canvas 2 has been rooted! But then, if you want to check and be doubly sure, you could download The Root Checker App and check it for yourself.
Note: If you ever want to Unroot your Micromax A110, run the runme.bat file again, but this time type “x” instead of 1 and hit enter.
How to flash CWM recovery:
- Download the recovery file from here.
- Rename this file to recovery.img
- Transfer the renamed file to your phone’s SD card.
- Download MobileUncle MTK tools from Google Play on your Micromax A110 and install it.
- Open the MTK tools app.
- Select the Recovery Update option, now choose the recovery.img that you have just transferred to your Micromax A110 Canvas 2.
- The app will flash CWM recovery on your A110 now.
Your phone will reboot in CWM recovery after which you can do anything you like.(Well, almost). You can boot into CWM recovery anytime by turning your phone OFF, press and hold volume down + volume up + power buttons until the screen turns on. After which you could take a nandroid backup (which is optional) and reboot your device.
Reverting to Stock Recovery:
If anything goes wrong with your partition, or you do not feel comfortable with Clockworkmod recovery, you could use this stock recovery.img file to revert from Micromax A110 Canvas 2 back to stock recovery again. Follow the same procedure to install stock recovery. Just replace the recovery.img file with stock recovery.
We’d like to know if this tutorial helped you out. Share this with your friends and fellow flashers on FB, Twitter, Google+ or even over a chai at the canteen.
And for any doubs, you could drop us a comment which will be addressed pronto! Any problems, or bugs, we’re here to set life right again.
Till the next post, Happy Flashing! :D